Whether you are training to get leaner, gain muscle or just improve fitness, lean protein is key to achieving your goals. It helps build muscle and keeps you fuller for longer, so it is the perfect energy source when trying to reduce your calorie intake.
Our Fitness Box is specially designed to complement your exercise regime whilst providing the finest quality meats at the best possible price.
Here are our top five healthy protein dishes from some of the key names in food and fitness.
1. Lucy Parissi’s Greek Beef Stew (Stifado)
From the Supergolden Bakes website, this recipe is a great way to use your lean diced beef if you’re looking for a change from British stew. Serves 2-4
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Brown 500g diced beef in batches over a high heat in a large casserole dish
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of beef stock
- Finely chop and fry 2 large shallots, 1 large carrot, 1 celery stick, 2 garlic cloves, ½ tbsp brown sugar, 1 bay leaf, ½ cinnamon stick, ¼ tsp ground allspice, a pinch of ground cloves and a grind of pepper
- Return the beef back along with 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 200g tinned chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 125ml beef stock and a glass of red wine and cook in the oven for 2½ hours
2. Joe Wicks’ Cajun Spiced Chicken with Quinoa
Joe Wicks’ is known for his Lean in 15 book series and his 2020 lockdown exercise classes. The quinoa in this quick dish provides extra, healthy protein. Serves 1
- Stir fry 80g of sliced bell peppers in oil until they start to soften
- Add 300g thinly sliced chicken breast and ½ tsp Cajun seasoning and fry until chicken is cooked
- Microwave a 250g pouch of ready-cooked quinoa and stir through the zest and juice of 1 lemon, a pinch of nutmeg, one sliced spring onion and a small bunch of chopped coriander
- Put the quinoa mix in a bowl and top with the chicken and pepper
3. Lee Funke’s Sticky Honey Pork
The medallion steaks in your Fitness box have all the rind and fat removed and are the perfect healthy protein source. This tasty recipe from Fit Foodie Finds serves 4-6.
- For the sauce, whisk together 1/3 cup honey, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp garlic chilli sauce and 2 tsp rice vinegar
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 tbsp corn starch, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp salt and a grind of pepper
- Slice the pork medallions thinly and toss in the corn starch mixture
- Heat oil in a heavy pan over a medium/high heat and sear the pork in batches on one side
- Add the pork back to the pan with the sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Scatter with sesame seeds and sliced spring onions to serve
4. Rena Awada’s Beef Shawarma Bowls
Rena Awada’s website website is a treasure trove of healthy, delicious recipes. This one uses your rump steak and serves 2-4 people.
- Mix ½ tsp ground cumin, ½ tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp smoked paprika, ¼ tsp ground turmeric, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Rub 500g steak with 1 tbsp olive oil and the spice mix and leave to sit for 15-30 mins at room temp
- Heat a little oil to medium-high in a grill pan and fry the steak to your liking
- Allow the steak to sit for a few minutes before slicing
- Put pickled vegetables, fresh salad, chopped parsley and the steak into a bowl and serve with yoghurt – add basmati rice or pitta bread to make it more filling
5. Scott Baptie’s Korean Beef Bowl
Nutritionist and writer of the High Protein Handbook series, Scott Baptie’s recipes are easy and nutritious – ideal if you’re tired after a long day or an intense gym session.
- Combine 30g honey, 60ml soy sauce, 5ml sesame oil, 10g cornflour, 1 tsp chilli flakes and 200ml water, set aside
- Fry 10g of grated ginger and garlic in oil for a couple of minutes
- Add 500g lean beef mince from your Fitness Box and brown
- Pour the sauce over the mince, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir through sliced spring onions and grated carrot and serve with rice
These nutritious, delicious meals have been designed to complement a regular fitness routine perfectly. Combining a low-fat, healthy protein source with a range of colourful vegetables, they will fill you up and help your body repair ready for your next session.
Order your Fitness Box on the website here: https://www.meatandco.co.uk/product/fitness-box/